All dogs of three months of age or over must be registered each year with the City of Unley.
The annual Dog Registration Fee (2012-2013) is $60. No fee applies for blind, disability or hearing dogs.
Registrations are due each year by 31 August.
Desexed - A discount of 40% is available if:
The dog is desexed (please present the desexing certificate when making payment)
Microchip - A discount of 10% is available if:
The dog is microchipped (Please present the dog's microchip registration certificate showing the microchip number and the name of the registry. Your contact details must be updated to reflect your current address and contact numbers. This information can be obtained from the registry holding the details of your dog's microchip).
Obedience Training - A discount of 10% is available if
The dog is trained (Please present a written certificate from a dog obedience club or training organisation - Authorised by the Dog & Cat Management Board, stating the dog has reached and passed Level/Grade 3 obedience training.
Concession - A discount of 50% is available if:
The following concession cards are accepted by Council:
- Pension Concession Card
- Health Care Card
- Veterans Affairs GOLD Card
- State Concession Card
- Centre Link Pensioner Concession Card
Temporary (annual) Concession holders must supply proof annually to receive the 50% concession.
- Working dogs $15.00
- Racing greyhounds $15.00
- Business registration (per dog) $60.00
- Transfer of registration fee $6.00
- Replacement disc fee $5.50
- Initial seizure and detention $70.00
- Fee for each 24 hours or part of 24 hours during which the dog is detained at a facility for the detention of dogs $25
- Percentage rebate for partial year registration 50%
- Penalty fee for late registrations $10.00
- Registration disc;
- Effective enforcement of dog control legislation, controlling and reducing dog problems in our community
- After hours call out service
- Fully maintained dog parks
- Conducting events, eg microchipping days
- Council promoted Dog Obedience Training
- Information booklets and expert advice available from Council officers
- Effective communications to dog owners and the wider community
- Resources to support the Dog & Cat Management Act and develop dog management programs
- Education programs for the community and schools
- Notification and education of leglisation changes
When you register your dog for the first time you will need to complete the Dog Registration Form(114 kb)
You can print a copy of the form, then complete it and
- Post your registration with payment to PO Box 1 Unley, SA 5061; or
- Visit the Customer Service Centre, 181 Unley Road, Unley.
When renewing the registration you can:
- Use the online facility for payment (you need the reference number on the renewal notice); or
- Phone the Customer Service Centre on 8372 5111.
When you renew your dog's registration you will need to complete a Change of dog registration details form.
- Post your transfer of registration to PO Box 1 Unley, SA 5061,
- Transfer the registration in person at the Customer Service Centre, 181 Unley Road, Unley.
When you register your dog you will be given a registration disc to attach to the dog's collar. The registration disc enables the dog to be identified should it be found when it becomes lost or goes wandering.
Many responsible dog owners chose to have their dogs microchipped which provides permanent identification. Dogs can be microchipped by vets (search Unley Business Directory using category "Animals and pets") and on Council held microchipping days.