Government support and My Aged Care


Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP)

The City of Unley’s Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) provides access to in‑home assistance, social activities and centre‑based social programs to help people live independently and maintain their quality of life.

Decisions under the program are made directly with clients and their advocates so that individuals feel comfortable and supported throughout.

The CHSP upholds and abides by the Charter of Aged Care Rights and is funded by the Federal Government. Access is determined by individual need and our ability to meet that need. 

Applicants will first need to register with My Aged Care and then nominate the City of Unley as their preferred provider.

Here's how

Your first step is to get in contact with My Aged Care so that you can register your details with them.

This can be done by phone 1800 200 422 (Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 10am to 2pm) or through the My Aged Care website. 

Once registered, it is likely that you will need a home assessment by a Regional Assessor.

The home assessment will help to decide what levels of support you need and provide you with a referral to an agency who can best meet your needs. 

If you would like to access a Commonwealth Home Support Program you can nominate the City of Unley as your preferred provider. 

My Aged Care will provide you with reference number (AC number) that we will then ask for when you apply for the support programs we offer. 

Find our more about our Wellbeing and Social Programs and Home Assistance and Support Programs.

Understanding My Aged Care

My Aged Care is a central contact centre which provides an entry point to the aged care system for the general public.

Registration and assessment provides seniors with access to basic community support services, complex community care packages or residential care.

How does My Aged Care work?

My Aged Care is both a contact centre and a referral point. When you contact My Aged Care for the first time, you should expect the following:

  • Your initial registration will be completed over the phone with a My Aged Care staff member who will ask you about your health, how you’re managing at home and any support you’re currently receiving. You can nominate a support person or advocate to speak on your behalf if you wish.

  • At the end of the phone registration, you will be informed whether you are eligible for a face-to-face assessment.

  • If you are eligible, an assessor will contact you within three weeks to arrange a face-to-face assessment.

  • After the assessment, the assessor will either provide you with service referral codes or lodge referrals on your behalf.

  • If it is determined that you have immediate needs, My Aged Care may refer you directly to services before your face-to-face assessment takes place.

  • If you require more complex care, My Aged Care will arrange for you to meet with an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) to help work out more complex packages of home care (there are four levels) or access to residential care.

Further information about the My Aged Care assessment process can be found on the My Aged Care website.

How to contact My Aged Care

There are three ways to start the registration process with My Aged Care:

  • Telephone toll free on 1800 200 422 (weekdays 8am to 8pm and Saturdays 10am to 2pm)

  • Use My Aged Care’s interactive website

  • Be referred by a service provider (such as the City of Unley).

Naming a preferred provider

Naming a preferred provider is about you having choice. You can nominate the City of Unley as your preferred provider or, if you wish, name an alternative organisation.

If you do not nominate a preferred provider, you will be referred to an organisation in your local area that is able to deliver the service. Alternatively, you may be provided with a referral code which you can take to your own provider.

Further information and help

Our Commonwealth Home Support Program staff can assist you to contact My Aged Care online or by phone, or if you wish, we can streamline the process by liaising with My Aged Care on your behalf.

With some basic information we can start the registration process. You may then be contacted by a representative from My Aged Care and, if an assessment is necessary, they will arrange it for you.

As your preferred provider, we can work directly with you to ensure the support and services delivered through the City of Unley’s Commonwealth Home Support Program is flexible and meets your needs.