City of Unley Conservation Grants

Published on 05 April 2022

Heritage house with fence and verandah

Do you own a heritage home or representative building in the City of Unley? 

Do you have regulated or significant trees on your property? 

Start planning now so you can apply for funding toward building maintenance and tree pruning.

You can apply for up to $5,000 to conserve your character/heritage property. Improvements could increase your property’s street appeal and help you avoid costly works if repairs were left unattended. 

Owners of significant and regulated trees can also apply for grants of up to $1,000 for professional pruning. Regular tree maintenance can increase a tree’s healthy life span, helping them provide shelter for wildlife and shade for your home and garden in the years ahead. 

Now’s the time to plan your application

Conservation Grant applications open in early July. However, now is the time to pre-plan as you’ll need to submit two work quotes or include development approval with your application. 

We encourage you to arrange quotes during April and May in preparation.

If you are unsure whether you need development approval or not, please call our Planning and Regulatory team on 3572 5111 for advice.

What type of building works qualify for grants?

The Conservation Grants Policy outlines the types of works supported. This includes external works that restore, conserve, enhance or reinstate heritage features. 

It is common for Council to approve grants for heritage building repairs to front fences, roofs and gutters. Reinstating original features, such as a front veranda or an entrance, are also common, along with salt damp protection. 

What types of trees qualify for grants?

Private property owners can use grants to pay for professional pruning of significant and regulated trees located on their land. 

Want to apply? Get started now!

Follow the steps below to make applying easier in July.

Step 1 - Read the Conservation Grant Policy

Step 2 – Obtain planning approval (if required) for the restoration works or tree pruning.  If unsure whether approval may be required, phone Council’s Planning team on 3572 5111. 

Step 3 - Obtain two quotes for the works you would like undertaken. We recommend that you start sourcing these in April or May.

Step 4 - When applications open in early July 2022 (we’ll announce this through Council’s channels), visit our Conservation Grants page to learn how to submit your application, including copies of your quotes. 


Thank you for helping us support a community that values its character homes and leafy neighbourhoods.