The City of Unley has developed the Animal Management Plan 2016-20. This plan is a requirement of the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995 and its purpose is to guide the City of Unley's management of dogs and cats from 2016-2020.

Dog & Cat Reforms

New laws for cat and dog owners and breeders will be introduced in South Australia from 1 July 2018 including:

  • the compulsory desexing of all dogs and cats born after 1 July 2018 and
  • compulsory microchipping of all dogs and cats irrespective of their date of birth.

Also from 1 July 2018, Dogs and Cats Online will become the central online service all dog and cat management services, including registration payments*, contact details, microchipping and breeder registration.

*Cats do not need to be registered in the Unley Council area however microchipping details will need to be recorded in Dogs and Cats Online.

  • Microchipping Changes

    The introduction of new laws from 1 July 2018 will help you manage your pets and keep them safe. Law changes include the compulsory microchipping of all dogs and cats, irrespective of their date of birth.

    Microchipping helps lost pets, including older dogs and cats, find their way home faster. It’s a simple procedure that can occur at any age.

    If you have any concerns in relation to your pet, please contact your vet to discuss.


    From 1 July 2018, registered veterinary surgeons will be able to exempt a dog or cat from microchipping (or desexing) if satisfied the procedure would pose an undue risk to the health of the dog or cat, or adversely affect the growth, development or wellbeing of the dog or cat.

    If your pet is exempted, you can record this directly into Dogs and Cats Online from 1 July 2018.

    Discount Microchipping

    In addition to visiting your vet, Chip Blitz offers $10 microchipping events at locations around South Australia. Visit the Chip Blitz website to find a location near you.

    For more information on microchipping, visit the Dog and Cat Board website.

  • Desexing Changes
    The introduction of new laws from 1 July 2018 will help you manage your pets and keep them safe.

    Law changes include the compulsory desexing of all dogs and cats, born after 1 July 2018, by a registered veterinary surgeon. This must take place:
    • before the pet is 6 months of age; or
    • within 28 days after the owner takes possession; or
    • if the owner is granted an extension of time, before the day specified.

    The following pets are exempt:
    • Dogs and cats born before the 1 July 2018
    • Dogs defined as a “Working Livestock Dog”
    • Dogs belonging to Dogs SA members
    • Cats belonging to a FASA or Cat Fancy of SA members
    • Greyhounds currently registered to Greyhound Racing SA (retired greyhounds are not exempt)
    • Board exemption.

    Vets may also grant you a desexing exemption, based on it posing an undue risk to the health of the dog or cat, or adversely affecting the animals’ growth, development or wellbeing.

    For more information on desexing, visit the Dog and Cat Board website.
  • Assistance to Desex or Microchip your dog or cat

    The City of Unley is pleased to offer financial assistance to residents of Unley to desex or microchip their dog or cat between 1 July 2017 and 30 June 2018.

    Conditions apply, please download the application form below for more details.

    Dog & Cat De-sexing/Microchip Reimbursement Scheme


  • New Website for Managing Pet Details
    From 1 July 2018, a new website called Dogs and Cats Online will be launched to assist owners to better manage their pet's details.

    Dogs and Cats Online will become the central online service for all dog and cat management, including registration payments*, contact details, microchipping and breeder registration.

    *Cats do not need to be registered in the Unley Council area however microchipping details will need to be recorded in Dogs and Cats Online.
  • Pet Registration Letters
    Registration letters will no longer be sent from Council but instead will arrive from the Dog and Cat Management Board. Your letter will arrive in mid-July and will include your pet’s registration disc for 2018/2019 in advance of payment.
  • Standardised Breed & Colour Lists

    Cats and Dogs Online will include a standardised list of breeds and colours. As a result, you may see the your dog’s breed or colour has changed to match the approved list. For crossbreeds and multi-coloured dogs, you will need to identify their primary and secondary colours and/or breed. For example a Labradoodle will need to be registered as primary breed: Labrador, secondary breed: Poodle.

  • Pet Registration Letters & Discs

    Registration letters will no longer be sent from Council but instead will arrive from the Dog and Cat Management Board. Your letter will arrive in June or July and will include your dog’s new lifetime registration disc (replacing the annual disc) and instructions on how to complete your dog’s annual registration online.

  • Find Out More
    For a handy overview of the changes that may affect you, download the Reforms Factsheet.

    For further enquiries, phone the City of Unley Customer Service Centre on 8372 5111 or visit the Dog and Cat Management Board website.

Dog Registration

Dog Registrations Renewals are due by 31 August

All dogs aged three months or over must be registered with us each year. The annual Dog Registration Fee is $80. No fee applies for accredited assistance dog under Section 21A of the Act. For more information visit the Dog and Cat Management Boards Website.

  • First Time Registration

    When you register your dog with us for the first time you will need to complete a Dog Registration Form. Please attach a copy of your driver’s licence (or proof of identification/age) and include any relevant information including copy of concession cards and any certificates i.e. Microchip, Desexing & Training.

    Please note the registered owner must be over 16 years of age.

    Dog Registration Form
  • Registration Renewal

    All dogs must be re-registered each financial year. Payments are to be made between 1 July and 31 August each year.

    It is the responsibility of the dog owner to ensure that their dog(s) are registered each year.

    • Registrations after 31 August attract a late fee of $10
    • Failure to register a dog may incur a fine of $170
  • How to Pay
    • Pay Dog Registration (renewals only) online - follow the prompts and enter your animal reference number.
    • Pay by phone - please phone our Customer Service Centre on 8372 5111
    • Pay in person at the City of Unley, 181 Unley Road, Unley
    • Pay by mail – send your cheque or money order payable to: City of Unley, PO Box 1 Unley SA 5061
  • Rebates

    Discounts are available for registrations upon presentation of evidence for the following:

    • Desexed: A rebate is available for desexed dogs (you must provide a copy of the certificate from your vet)
    • Microchip: A rebate is available for dogs that are microchipped (a certificate of microchip that reflects your current address and phone numbers are required to receive this rebate)
    • Please note if your dog is micro chipped with NSW Pet Register the rebate is not applicable. NSW Pet Register is a state based registry and microchip information is not available to other states. To be applicable for the microchip rebate please update your dog’s details to an Australian Wide Registry.
    • Trained: A rebate is available upon presentation of a certificate that indicates that the dog is trained (you must provide a written certificate from a dog obedience club or training organisation - Authorised by the Dog & Cat Management Board). A training certificate must state the dog has reached and passed Level/Grade 2 obedience training which requires:
      • Automatic sit, stand, drop, stay
      • Left and right about turns
      • Basic recall
  • Concessions
    We accept the following concession cards:
    • Pension Concession Card
    • Health Care Card
    • Veterans Affairs Gold Card
    • State Concession Card
    • Centre Link Pensioner Concession Card
    Annual Temporary Concession holders must supply proof annually to receive the rebate.
  • Change of Dog Registration Details

    Please ensure your dog’s address and other details are up to date by completing a Change of Dog Registration Details Form. We must be notified if:

    • You change your address
    • Your dog dies
    • Your dog is missing for more than 72 hours
    • Your dog is given to a new owner
    • Your dog is surrendered to the RSPCA or Animal Welfare League

    Notify us by:

    • Posting your transfer of registration to City of Unley, PO Box 1 Unley, SA 5061
    • Emailing your transfer of registration to
    • Transfer the registration in person at the City of Unley, 181 Unley Road, Unley
    Form 4 Change of Dog Registration Details
  • What do Registration Fees Pay For?
    • Registration disc
    • Effective enforcement of dog control legislation, controlling and reducing dog problems in our community
    • After hours call out service
    • Fully maintained dog parks
    • Council promoted Dog Obedience Training
    • Information booklets and expert advice available from Council officers
    • Effective communications to dog owners and the wider community
    • Resources to support the Dog & Cat Management Act and develop dog management programs
    • Education programs for the community and schools
    • Notification and education of legislation changes
  • Additional Information

    When you register your dog you will be given a registration disc to attach to the dog's collar. The registration disc enables the dog to be identified should it be found if it becomes lost or goes wandering.

    Many responsible dog owners chose to have their dog’s microchipped which provides permanent identification. Dogs can be microchipped by vets and on Council run microchipping days.

Fee Structure
  Fee Concession
Non Standard Dog $80.00 $40.00
Non Standard Dog - Desexed $48.00 $24.00
Non Standard Dog - Microchip $72.00 $36.00
Non Standard Dog - Trained $64.00 $32.00
Non Standard Dog - Desexed and Trained $32.00 $16.00
Non Standard Dog - Microchip and Trained $56.00 $28.00
Standard Dog - Desexed and Microchip $40.00 $20.00
Standard Dog - Trained $24.00 $12.00
Accredited Assistance Dog no fee no fee
Working Dog $16.50 n/a
Racing Greyhound $16.50 n/a
Business Registration (per dog) $70.00 n/a
Replacement Disc $7.00 n/a
Transfer of Registration $6.50 n/a

Standard Dog: this applies only to a dog that is both desexed and microchipped. 
Non-standard Dog (full fee): this applies to dogs that are not microchipped and desexed even if they are exempt from the requirement to desex or microchip.
Racing Greyhound: Greyhounds must be currently registered with the SA Greyhound Racing Control Board – current registration papers must be presented. Greyhounds that are not racing are considered and applied as Non Standard or Standard Dog.

Working Livestock Dog: Classification of a working dog is at the discretion of the Registrar of Dogs. Please contact City of Unley on 8372 5111 for further information.

Accredited Assistance Dog: No fee is charged for those dogs that have been trained and certified as disability dogs/hearing/guide. Proof of accreditation is required.

Barking Dogs

Dog owners are responsible for the care and well-being of their pet and to ensure that it is safe at all times and well behaved most of the time.

All dogs make noise at some time. However, if you are concerned about the level of noise a dog is creating the first step towards resolving the issue is to try to speak to the owner in a non-threatening manner and try to reach a compromise.

Often the dog owner can be unaware that their dog is causing a nuisance as they may not be at their property when the barking occurs. Most dog owners are willing to work with their neighbours to achieve an amicable outcome.

Print out the letter below and give to your neighbour as a first point of contact if their dog's barking is becoming a nuisance.

  • Simple Tips for Dog Owners to Reduce Barking
    • Make sure that you do not reward your dog for barking too much. Instead, reward the dog when it is quiet.
    • If the dog is barking at people or noises on the other side of a fence, move the dog to another part of the yard, or put up a barrier to keep the dog away from that area.
    • If the dog barks at regular disturbances such as children walking to school or rubbish trucks, keep the dog inside or in an enclosed area at these times.
    • If the dog races along a path or fence barking at passing distractions, put barriers or obstacles in the dog's way to slow it down.
    • Ensure that the dog has adequate exercise and obedience training.
    • If you have a large back yard, enclosing the dog in a smaller area to allow it to relax and wait for your return rather than run about barking, will allow the dog to believe looking after the place is not its responsibility when you are not home. This can be very stressful to dogs, they like to sleep.
    • Ensure the dog has an inviting comfortable shelter/bed/kennel so that it will want to sleep there rather than "guard" the property. Make sure that the dog has food, water and shelter from the weather.
    • If the dog is barking through gaps and cracks in the fence, fill them in.
    • If the dog is barking at people it can see passing by, try blocking the dog's view.
    • Teach the dog to stop barking on command. When the dog is barking give a firm command such as 'cease' and call the dog to you. Praise the dog when it stops barking. If the dog will not listen to you, it will need obedience training.
    • You may like to check the Animal Welfare League's and RSPCA’s web site for further information on "animal training"
    • Visit the Dog and Cat Management Board website for a fact sheet on excessive barking
    • Visit the Animal Welfare League website or phone the League on 8348 1300
    • Visit the RSPCA website or phone the RSPCA on 1300 477 722 

    Remember, dogs bark for many reasons. If these simple tips do not help, seek further advice.

  • Complaints

    If a complaint about a noisy dog is received, the City of Unley may observe the dog to assess whether it is creating a noise that 'persistently occurs to such an extent that it unreasonably interferes with the peace, comfort or convenience of others'. (Section 45A, Part 5 of the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995.)

    Most complaints about noisy dogs received by the City of Unley are handled informally and through mediation. This way all parties are given the opportunity to work towards a resolution before any legal action is taken.

  • Diary Sheets

    The person making the complaint needs to be willing to keep a diary recording the extent and occasions that the dog causes a nuisance. In addition, the person must be prepared to attend Court if necessary to give evidence in order for the Council to proceed when all other measures have been exhausted.

  • Formal Complaints


    If the City of Unley is unable to resolve the complaint informally they will commence a formal investigation of the situation that may include speaking with other neighbours who may be affected by the noise of the dog.

    The investigation will include providing the person who made the complaint, the dog owner and surrounding neighbours with Diary Sheets to record the noise of the dog.

    If the information recorded in the Diary Sheets substantiates the claim that the dog is unreasonably interfering with the peace, comfort or convenience of others the Rangers may issue the dog owner with an expiation notice for the alleged offence.

  • First Warning

    Once the nature of the complaint has been substantiated the dog owner will be sent a notice to rectify within 7 to 21 days.

  • Control (Barking Dog) Orders

    If the problem is not resolved the City of Unley may consider issuing a letter informing the owner of Council's intention to issue a Control Order in accordance with the provisions of the Dog and Cat Management Act (1995).

    If the Order is implemented and subsequently contravened the City of Unley can take steps to give effect to the Order. This will most likely lead to prosecution in a Court of Summary Jurisdiction at which the person who made the complaint will be required to attend.

    Dog owners have the right to appeal the intention to issue an Order.

  • Prosecution

    The Council can instigate an immediate prosecution against a dog owner who allows their dog to create a persistent noise nuisance.

    If a person is found guilty the Court has the ability to:

    • Issue a fine
    • Impose strict controls on the owner of the dog
    • Remove the dog temporarily or permanently.
  • Civil Action

    Any person can institute Civil Proceedings against a dog owner in a Court, however, this course of action can only be handled by the complainant and cannot be handled by the City of Unley.

    Complaints and Grievance Procedures
    If you believe that the City of Unley has not handled the matter in accordance with its obligations under the Dog and Cat Management Act please contact us. In the first instance we will seek to resolve any problems.

    Owners may request a formal review of decision (as provided for under Section 270 of the Local Government Act) where a person not directly involved in handling the issue will conduct a review.

    Owners retain the right at any time refer the matter to the State Ombudsman's Office for an investigation.

Dog Exercise Areas

The City of Unley's parks and playgrounds encourage community participation and contribute to fostering a vibrant, safe, cohesive and strong community.

The City of Unley has three types of Dog Exercise Areas:

  • Off-Leash at All Times
  • Off-Leash between 5pm and 10am
  • On-Leash at All Times
  • Off-Leash at All Times

    Dogs may be exercised off-leash at all times at:

    • Goodwood Oval, Millswood
    • Ridge Park (oval area), Myrtle Bank
    • The Orphanage (oval areas), Millswood
    • Unley Oval, Unley
  • Off-Leash Between 5pm and 10am

    Please check for signs indicating designated dog off-leash areas. Dogs may be exercised off-leash between 5pm and 10am at:

    • Everard Park Reserve, Everard Park
    • Forestville Reserve, Forestville
    • Fraser Reserve, Myrtle Bank
    • Fullarton Park, Fullarton
    • Heywood Park, Unley Park (western sector)
    • Howard Florey Reserve, Parkside
    • McLeay Park, Unley
    • Page Park, Clarence Park
    • Scammell Reserve, Myrtle Bank
    • Soutar Park, Goodwood (open play area and south of the east west path)
    • Village Green, Unley
    • Wayville Reserve, Wayville

    IMPORTANT: Dogs can be exercised off their leash provided:

    • No organised sporting activities are taking place
    • The person responsible for the dog maintains ‘effective control’ at all times

    Effective control means:

    • The dog is restrained by a leash of not more than 2m in length
    • The dog responds to command, is in close proximity to the person and the person is able to see the dog at all times
  • On-Leash at All Times

    Dogs must remain on-leash in the following areas:

    • Charles Walk - Linear Walk, Unley
    • Ferguson Avenue Reserve, Highgate
    • Fern Avenue Reserve, Fullarton
    • Glen Osmond Creek - Linear Walk, Unley
    • Hackett Reserve, Parkside
    • Haslop Reserve, Malvern
    • Henry Codd Reserve, Parkside
    • Heywood Park, Unley Park (eastern sector)
    • Katherine Street Reserve, Fullarton
    • Leicester Street Playground (open area), Parkside
    • Morrie Harrell Playground Reserve (open area), Unley
    • North Unley Playground Reserve (open area), Unley
    • Orphanage Park (except for oval areas), Millswood
    • Simpson Parade Reserve, Wayville
    • Soldiers Memorial Gardens, Unley
    • Soutar Park, Goodwood (north of east-west path)
    • Windsor Street – Linear Walk, Unley
    • Yeo Avenue Reserve, Highgate
  • Prohibited Areas

    It is prohibited to allow your dog:

    • Within any enclosed area where there is children’s play equipment
    • Within 3m of children’s play equipment (if the area is not enclosed)
    • In areas listed on sign posts as being prohibited for dogs
    • In areas set aside by the Unley Council for organised game playing
  • Victoria Park (City of Adelaide)
    If you use Victoria Park to exercise your dog, please be mindful that the park has a racing practice circuit that is used by cyclists and peddle prix vehicles. To keep your dog safe, please always put your dog on leash on or near the track when it is in use.

Lost and Found Dogs

This is a record of dogs currently held by the City of Unley. Upon release of a dog, impound fees and registration if required will be charged.

Register of Found Dogs

No dogs are currently listed.

Dogs may not appear on the website on the day impounded but will appear with 24 hours. Please check this website regularly and contact our office for any further enquires, please phone 8372 5111.

Expiations may be issued for dogs found wandering at large and/or unregistered.

Found dogs will be transferred to All Pets Boarding Village 92 Mount Barker Road, Mt Osmond, phone 8379 1995.

Any dog not claimed within 72 hours of the time of being impounded will be sent to the Animal Welfare League, 1-9 Cormack Road, Wingfield, phone 8348 1300

  • If your dog becomes lost

    If your dog becomes lost you should act quickly to:

    • Phone the City of Unley on 8372 5111
    • Contact local vets
    • Contact surrounding Councils
    • Contact Allpets Boarding Village (8379 1995, Mon-Sat 9am-6pm, Sun 4pm-6pm)
    • Contact the Animal Welfare League (8348 1300, Mon-Fri 10am-4pm)
    • Contact the RSPCA (8382 0888, Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Weekends & Public Holidays 10am-2pm)
    • Place an advertisement in your local newspaper, shopping centres, vets
    • Do a letterbox drop in your local area

    Under the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995 any dog that becomes impounded is required to be held by the animal shelters for three working days only and may be sold or put down if not claimed.

    Dogs that are properly identified need not be subjected to this process as they can be quickly returned to their owners. A current telephone number on another disc on your dog's collar is also advisable.

  • If you find a stray dog

    If you find a stray dog, try to contain the animal safely if you can, and contact us on 8372 5111 (if after-hours you will be transferred to our after-hours service). If you are unable to contain the animal, advise us of the description of the dog and its whereabouts. Every endeavour will be made to reunite the dog with its owner.

    It is important you do not keep a stray dog you have found as the animal may have been reported missing and may be in need of medication and you will be preventing authorities from returning the dog to its rightful owner. Only Dog Management Officers appointed by Councils are empowered to deal with stray or wandering dogs.

    Under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animal Act, 1995 it is an offence to abandon a dog and penalties are severe.


  • Unley Dog Obedience

    Positive Dog Training

    Download the Dog Obedience Classes PDF for local training session times.

    Dogs must be over four months of age and vaccinated. All breeds are welcome. 
    Please note that obedience training will not be held if the forecast temperature is 34 degrees or above on the day of training.

    For further information please contact Council on 8372 5111.

  • Prescribed Breeds
    Under the Dog and Cat Management Act special conditions apply to owing the following dogs:
    • American Pit Bull Terrier
    • Fila Braziliero
    • Japanese Tosa
    • Dogo Argentina
    • Presa Canario

    Under these conditions the dog must:
    • Be desexed
    • Be muzzled
    • Be on a lead of no longer than 2m in length when in a public place

    Any offences accredited to these breeds attract higher penalties than for other dogs.
  • Prescribed Limits
    Under By-Law No 5  Dogs - Part 2 – Limits on Dog Numbers – keeping more than the prescribed number of dogs requires our approval.

    The prescribed number of dogs per premise is 2.

    Permit Applications are subject to a fee as determined by Council's Fees and Charges Schedule.

    On receipt of an application the Council's Ranger may undertake an inspection of the subject premises. The purpose of the inspection is to educate the applicant about responsible dog ownership and to determine the suitability of the premises to keep more than the prescribed number of dogs.

    Council may also make contact with adjoining neighbours to ascertain their position on the matter.

    All approvals are subject to conditions including:
    • Housing and exercise areas must be provided appropriate to the size and breed of the dogs
    • The dogs are kept for family enjoyment as part of the domestic activity (dogs kept as a business require Development Approval)
    • Owners undertake to reduce the number of dogs over time to the prescribed limit
    • The property at which the dogs are kept is to be maintained in a sanitary condition at all times
    • The dogs must not become a nuisance to other residents or the general public
    • Registration of the dogs must be maintained at all times
    • That the City of Unley be notified within 14 days if the permit holder or dog(s) move
    Where a permit holder or dog(s) move premises an application to vary the permit is required. Permit Variation Applications are subject to a fee as determined by Council's Fees & Charges Schedule.

    We may at any time vary or revoke this permit in accordance with By-Law 1 - Permits and Penalties.
  • Responsible Dog Ownership

    Leaving dog faeces on streets, footpaths and parks is smelly, unsightly and can be very unpleasant to step in!

    Dog faeces is a serious litter issue with wide ranging impacts on amenity, health and the environment. Dog faeces carry harmful bacteria and nutrients. When waste makes its way via stormwater drains into creeks, rivers and beaches, it can create unsafe pollution.

    By cleaning up after your dog and using a leash when out walking, you can assist in preserving public open space privileges for both owners and their dogs.

    Cleaning up after your dog is easy. Most Unley parks have dispenser bags available for your use. Please note these bags are not compostable, please dispose of them into provided litter bins, or in your bin at home (but not recycling or green organics bins).

    Compostable dog bags and holders are available for purchase from Council.  Compostable dog bags can be disposed of in your green organics bin. You could also compost dog faeces, either in composting units or in worm farms.

    Under the City of Unley By-law 5, no person is to allow a dog under that person’s control, charge or authority to be in a public place or on local government land unless that person has in their possession a bag or other suitable container for collection and lawful disposal of any faeces that the dog may deposit for the purpose of complying with their obligation under section 46A(6) of the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995.

Dog Attacks

What to do if a dog attacks

When safe to do so, please report the dog attack to the City of Unley on  8372 5111. Please seek medial or veterinary treatment as required.

We will investigate the incident as soon as practicable. To assist the investigating officer, please keep your own notes detailing:

  • the date, time and exact location of the attack
  • a description of the offending dog - identification or registration disc / breed / colour / sex / markings / collar
  • a description of the owner - identification / name / address / contact phone number / male or female / age / hair colour
  • if a car was involved and the offender drove away with the dog - car registration number / make / mode l/ colour
  • a description and photographs of any injuries and location on your body or your pet's body.

You should also keep copies of any medical certificates/vet or doctor bills as evidence.

  • What happens when a dog attack is reported?

    When a dog is reported:

    1. We take a statement or affidavit from you
    2. Photos may be taken of any injuries to yourself, or your animals or birds.
    3. The dog's owner will be contacted to get their side of the incident.
    4. Seek witness statements and other evidence
    5. Assess the circumstances and evidence
    6. Make a decision for action
    7. Issue legal notices as required
    8. Inform the parties of the outcome

    Depending on the severity of the attack, Council may:

    • issue a warning
    • impose a control order (Nuisance Order, Dangerous Dog Order, Menacing Dog Order, or Destruction Order) .
    • impose an expiation of $210 ($315 after 1 July 2017)
    • take court action in more serious cases.

    The maximum penalty for a dog attack is $2,500.

    If you have any questions please contact us on 8372 5111.

  • You are responsible for your dog’s actions

    The dog's owner or the person who has care and control of the dog is responsible for its actions and behaviour. It is an offence for a dog to attack, harass or chase:

    • a person
    • another animal
    • a bird owned by a person.

    Find out more from the Dog and Cat Management Act, 1995

  • Preventing dog bites

    Dogs bite for many reasons. The most common reasons are fear, pain or confusion when mixing with people and other dogs. Ignoring signs of aggression can result in serious injury to you, a member of your family or others.  You can discourage biting by:

    • avoiding situations that may cause your dog to become nervous or anxious
    • training your dog - obedience classes help you learn about your dog, its body language and how you can communicate with it
    • socialising your dog from an early age so that it learns how to mix with other dogs and other people in public
    • asking your vet for advice if your dog shows any signs of aggression towards people.
  • More information
    For more information on being a good dog owner, visit the Dog and Cat Management Board website.  


New laws to be introduced from 1 July 2018 will help owners manage their pets and keep them safe. Law changes will include the compulsory desexing of all cats born after 1 July 2018 and compulsory microchipping of all cats irrespective of their date of birth.

Take advantage of the Chip Blitz programme and book into a location near you offering $10 microchipping per pet.

For further information about caring for your cat, visit the Dog And Cat Management Board Website.
  • Desexing
    CATS Incorporated is a community based cats desexing program that provides advice and low cost desexing.

    Contact CATS Incorporated by phoning 8331 0476.
  • Unidentified Cats

    Cat Cages are available for hire, please phone Council on 8372 5111 for further information.


To help members of the community understand the expectation of Council in relation to the keeping of poultry, the following guidelines have been developed to assist in the prevention of nuisance and for the maintenance of public health.

For the purpose of these guidelines “Poultry” means all fowls, geese, turkeys and ducks of any age above four weeks.

Persons should not keep any poultry so as to be a nuisance or injurious to health by reason of:
  • The number of animals or birds
  • The noise made by the animal or bird
  • The dust or odour generated by the presence of the animal or bird
  • The attraction of flies, rats, mice or other vermin
  • The nature and location of housing facilities for the animal or bird
  • The animal or bird not being adequately contained on the land
  • The animal or bird being allowed to wander or fly from or to land either alone or in numbers
  • Droppings emanating from the animals or birds
  • For any other justifiable reason
The shelter should be of solid construction, readily cleansable, have a solid impervious floor, and constructed in an area that is:
  • Away from neighbouring dwellings used principally for human habitation.
  • should not be located forward of any dwelling to the primary street frontage;
  • Not less than 1m from any boundary fence, hedge, or wall;
  • Of an area of not less than 1m² for each bird confined in such place or enclosure;
  • Provided with a shelter constructed of suitable material, a rainproof roof and with an area of not less than 0.4m² for each bird.

While keeping roosters is not prohibited, the practice is not encouraged in residential areas. Invariably, complaints about noise will be received and the owner will be required to remove the bird(s) if they cause justifiable nuisance.

Please note that this information is only intended to provide guidance to the community and does not in any way bind the Council.

For further information, please contact The City of Unley Environmental Health Section on 8372 5111.

Other Animals

  • Keeping Farm Animals

    The animals are to be provided with an enclosure and shelter.

    They must be housed in the rear yard to the premises, at least 12m from any house or other building used for the preparation or storage of food, 22m from the front street and 3m from any back lane or side street.

    Shelters must have a solid floor graded and drained to the sewer via a silt trap. Every stall must have minimum dimensions of 2.5m x 3m. Adequate lighting and ventilation is to be provided. All feed should be stored in rat proof containers and contained within a separate storage area and all such forage stores must be vermin proof.
    Exercise Yards

    Each stall shall have an exercise yard attached of at least 17sq m, covered or open. Yards shall be effectively paved, graded and drained.
    Manure and Stable Litter

    Manure and stable litter shall be removed at least once every 24 hours and removed from the premises or placed in suitable waterproof and vermin-proof containers and fitted with tight fitting lids. The contents of the manure receptacles must be removed at least once each week and disposed of to prevent offensiveness and the breeding of flies.

    An adequate and convenient supply of water shall be provided for the cleaning of the stables and enclosures and a sufficient supply of clean water shall be provided at all times for the cattle via watering troughs provided within the enclosures.

    These guidelines may be amended from time to time without notice.

    Please note:
    • Council Development Approval is required to keep non-domestic animals
    • Each application will be considered on its merits and no precedent is set by any approval given

    For further information contact:
    • The City of Unley's Environmental Health Section - phone 8372 5111
    • The Department of Primary Industries and Resources - phone 8226 0222
  • Keeping Birds (other than poultry)
    These guidelines are provided to assist in the prevention of nuisances and for the maintenance of public health.

    For the purpose of these guidelines:

    "Birds" means any feathered vertebrate, but does not include fowls, geese, turkeys and ducks of any age.

    "Building" means any dwelling house, office, hotel, boarding house, hospital, club, warehouse, factory or any other building (including a public building) which is used wholly or principally for human habitation or occupation.

    1. No birds shall be kept outdoors within the City of Unley unless the birds are at all times kept within a place, aviary or enclosure, which is:
    • At least 2m from any neighbouring building
    • Of an area which is appropriate for any breed of bird confined in that place, aviary or enclosure
    • Provided with a shelter constructed of suitable material and a rainproof roof

    2. All birds shelters and enclosures shall be kept in a sanitary condition, including:
    • Any deceased birds are disposed of by burying
    • All accumulations of manure are stored in a fly proof container and the contents disposed of weekly so as to prevent offensiveness and the breeding of flies

    3. All containers for the storage of bird feed shall be rat proof.

    4. Consideration should also be given to any additional guidelines, which may be provided from time to time.

    For further information, please contact the City of Unley's Environmental Health Section on 8372 5111.

Injured Wildlife

We are fortunate in Unley to share our neighbourhood with a variety of native wildlife species. If you do though come across an injured or abandoned native animal, we recommend you contact the Adelaide Koala and Wildlife Hospital located at 282 Anzac Highway, Plympton.
Phone: (08) 8297 2455
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Out of Hours or Emergency: (08) 8371 0333
A team of dedicated professionals at the Adelaide Koala & Wildlife Hospital provide free emergency vet services to injured wildlife. The hospital takes in injured or orphaned wildlife with the aim of rehabilitation and release. They also participate in a wide variety of educational programs for students, carers, veterinary students and the public. 
Visit the Adelaide Koala & Wildlife Hospital webpage for more information on their services and the ways that you can help.