Our social programs encourage meaningful social connections among our residents, which is important for people to help maintain their independence and enjoy quality of life. Most services are subsidised and clients contribute towards their cost. To learn more about the range of services Council can provide, including social activities we provide, watch the short video here.
Visit the Government support and My Aged Care page for more information on how you can access these services.
You can also refer to the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) Handbook here.
CHSP Handbook(PDF, 3MB)
Client contribution schedule(PDF, 278KB)
If you would like to be a part of these programs, please submit an expression of interest online or call us on 8372 5111.
Submit your expression of interest
Stay up to date
We produce a regular newsletter which lists upcoming programs and activities, seasonal services, resident news, and more.
Engageing Unley Newsletter Dec 22 - Jan 23(PDF, 7MB)
Supportive physical activity and wellbeing opportunities
A My Aged Care 'Social Support Group' referral is required to attend these activities.
- Two classes on Thursdays from 11 – 11:45am or 12 noon to 12.45pm at Fullarton Park Community Centre.
- Come along to a group exercise class specifically designed with the intention of improving your balance.
- An Accredited Exercise Physiologist will guide you through a range of exercises targeted at preventing people from falls.
- The class aims to improve your balance and confidence whilst building your strength and endurance all in a fun and social environment.
- Cost: Level 1 $9, Level 2 $12 per class with a My Aged Care Social Support Group referral or $14 with no My Aged Care Social Support Group referral.
Easy Paced Walking Group
Join us for a walk around the local area, at your own pace. After the walk, join the group for a drink at a local coffee shop. Walking has many benefits:
- Easy, accessible way to stay physically active
- Social contact and community spirit
- A safe way to be healthy
Held weekly on Tuesdays at 10.30am
Walk duration is 30-40 minutes, with rests for those who need them. All abilities and mobility devices are welcome.
Gold coin donation.
Social bus trips
Would you like to get out and about and meet other Unley residents? Join us on a range of enjoyable bus trips and visit locations throughout Adelaide and surrounding areas.
See our latest 'Engageing Unley' newsletter for upcoming trips. Our bus trips are extremely popular and often book out. As such, we limit access on our bus trips to City of Unley residents only.
- Bus departs from Fullarton Park Community Centre, 411 Fullarton Road, Fullarton.
- Bus trips leave Fullarton promptly; return times are an estimate.
- Transport may be available from your home on a needs basis. Bus transport to and from Fullarton Park costs $2.50 each way.
- Please have correct cash on the day. You can make EFTPOS payments before the trip but not on the day.
A My Aged Care ‘Social Support Group’ referral is required to go on these bus trips. You can contact My Aged Care by calling 1800 200 422 or we can do this for you.
To make a bus booking contact CHSP on 8372 5175, 8372 5191 or email WellbeingProgram@Unley.sa.gov.au
We also run all-ages 'Out & About' bus tours as part of the City of Unley Community Bus program.
When making a booking, you will either be confirmed on the trip or wait-listed.
If you are not able to go on the trip, please let us know by calling 8372 5191. If you have been wait-listed and a spot becomes available, we will call you and let you know.
Meet Me Monday
Meet Me Monday is a social support program for carers and the people who they are caring for. This friendly group is looking for new members and meets at the Unley Community Centre twice a month for a fun and friendly day.
Enjoy a delicious lunch cooked onsite and various group activities such as games, crafts, information sessions, guest speakers and bus trips. Meet Me Monday is a great opportunity to relax while developing friendships and support networks with your local community.
- A My Aged Care ‘Social Support Group’ referral is required for carers to attend Meet Me Monday.
- A separate My Aged Care ‘Flexible Respite’ referral is required for care recipients to attend Meet Me Monday.
Please refer to the Meet Me Monday program flyer(PDF, 3MB) .
Program currently on hold, contact the CHSP program on 8372 5191 for more information or to register your interest.
We recognise the specific wellbeing needs of older males and as such offer some male-only programs and activities. Older males are generally under-represented in accessing our services and so we aim to create spaces where men of a similar age can connect with one another.
A My Aged Care ‘Social Support Group’ referral is required to access these services.
Blokes Day Out
Are you a gentleman who likes to get out and about?
Join us for a day trip on the Community Bus to somewhere of interest and enjoy a tasty lunch at a local hotel or café.
- Held Monthly
- Bus departs from Fullarton Park Community Centre, 411 Fullarton Road, Fullarton.
- Transport may be available from your home on a needs basis.
- $8.50 bus trip, lunch at own cost.
Buddies at Breakfast
Join us for great food, good coffee and excellent conversation at our weekly men’s breakfast. Share a joke and have a laugh, it’s a great way to catch up with other blokes in a relaxed and friendly environment.
The breakfast often hosts guest speakers, participants have a game of billiards or lawn bowls and there are often quizzes and games.
The breakfast is a supportive environment: men from all walks of life and abilities are welcome.
- Weekly on Friday mornings at Unley Park Sports Club
- Hot breakfast, espresso coffee, fruit and cereals made to order by our chef
- Facilitated group activities
- Level 1, $13 inclusive
Level 2, $19 inclusive
A My Aged Care ‘Social Support Individual’ referral is required to access these services.
For more information about our One on One social programs please contact the CHSP on 8372 5191 or email WellbeingProgram@unley.sa.gov.au
We can arrange one-on-one assistance with one of our friendly volunteers or workers to take you and accompany you to:
- Medical, allied health or specialist appointments
- Visiting a loved one in a Nursing Home
- Visiting the Cemetery
- Shopping Support incl. Post Office,
- Chemist or bill paying
- Or anywhere else you want to go.
Assistance to use technology
If you have a computer, iPad, Android tablet or smart phone and are not sure how to use it, or a microwave, oven clock or television channels needing resetting, then we may be able to assist you. Technology is used in many ways:
Communicating with family and friends
Entertainment: podcasts, audio books, games
Monitoring your health:
Food diary, counting your steps
Sending photos on your mobile, using USBs and external drives
$7.50 - 10.50 per session.
Did you know the City of Unley offers volunteers who become ‘Friendly Visitors’ – someone who makes a different to your life – spending time and sharing what is important to you?
A visit to your home for a cup of tea and a conversation… or maybe an hour or two by the sea side or your favourite park or garden… or an opportunity to buy that special something.
$7.50 - 10.50 per hour.
Are you interested in having a regular pen pal?
Share a poem, write about interesting life events or simply just write about how you are feeling and persevering in these interesting times.
We will pair you up with another resident or a friendly volunteer to enjoy a friendly exchange of cards and letters on a regular basis.
Take My Lead - assistance with walking your dog
Companion animal relationships are important in the lives of older people. Companion animals can improve and help a person’s emotional and physical wellbeing.
To help maintain these relationships, the City of Unley offers the opportunity for eligible residents, over the age of 65 living in their own home, to have their companion dogs regularly exercised by an animal loving volunteer. The cost is between $7.50 - $10.50 per hour.
We will require a Dog Behavioural Assessment before our volunteers are able to walk your dog. We will organise this assessment for you, which will be an additional cost.
Wellbeing phone calls
Are you interested in having a regular phone call from one of our friendly volunteers?
Enjoy a chat with one of our friendly volunteers about how you are, what you have been up to or simply just chat about shared interests or hobbies.
Regular phone conversations can be on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis.
This is a free service.
We can assist you with shopping in three ways:
- Our workers can pick you up and take you to the shops to get your groceries, or something special like a gift or new outfit. A My Aged Care ‘Social Support Individual’ referral is required to access this service.
- Our workers can shop for you, from a grocery list you provide us, while you stay home. A My Aged Care ‘Domestic’ referral is required to access this service.
- We can transport you to the shops, and you undertake your shopping unaccompanied, via our Community Transport program.
Carers play a vital role in helping people in their senior years stay independent and not isolated. The City of Unley can offer flexible respite to residents who are providing support to a family member. Flexible respite can help you look after your loved one, while you take some time to recharge and revitalise.
Respite care is available weekdays during business hours (excluding Public Holidays).
Flexible respite can include:
Friendly visiting in the home for your care recipient/ family member
Accompanying and transporting care recipients/ family members to outings or appointments
General domestic assistance
The carer can decide if they would like to be present at the service or not.
A My Aged Care ‘Flexible Respite’ referral for the care recipient is required in order to access this service.
We also run 'Meet Me Monday', a social support group program for carers and the people who they are caring for. This friendly group is looking for new members and meets at the Unley Community Centre twice a month for a fun and friendly day. Head to our Social Group Programs section for more information.