Justice of the Peace

The City of Unley provides a Justice of the Peace service at the Unley Civic Centre.

JP Services

Appointments are not required, however please phone 8372 5111 to confirm availability and times of operation.

 Day   Time 
 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday    9am - 3pm 
 Friday    9am - 12noon 


You can find the Volunteer Justice of the Peace at the Unley Civic Centre, Unley Rd.

The role of a JP

The role of the JP is to act as an independent and objective witness to documents people use for official or legal purposes. For example, a JP may:

  • attest the execution of a document
  • witness an affidavit for use in court
  • witness a statutory declaration
  • certify a true copy of an original document
  • certify a person’s identity.

Statutory declarations

A statutory declaration is a written statement that you sign and declare to be true before an authorised witness. A JP can act as authorised witness to the signing of a statutory declaration.

Statutory declarations are commonly used to legally verify names, addresses, insurance claims, superannuation matters, lost passports and as evidence to support sick leave.

You can find a range of statutory declarations by searching the sa.gov.au website.

Statutory declaration(PDF, 11KB)

Complaints and Feedback

For any questions or concerns, please contact Justice of the Peace Services, run by the State Government.

Phone: (08) 131 882

Email: jpservices@sa.gov.au