If you wish to keep more than the prescribed number of dogs, you must apply for a permit.
Permit applications are subject to a fee as determined by Council's Fees and Charges(PDF, 1MB) .
On receipt of an application the Council's General Inspector's may undertake an inspection of the subject premises. The purpose of the inspection is to educate the applicant about responsible dog ownership and to determine the suitability of the premises to keep more than the prescribed number of dogs.
Council may also make contact with adjoining neighbours to ascertain their position on the matter.
All approvals are subject to conditions including:
- Housing and exercise areas must be provided appropriate to the size and breed of the dogs.
- The dogs are kept for family enjoyment as part of the domestic activity (dogs kept as a business require Development Approval).
- Owners undertake to reduce the number of dogs over time to the prescribed limit.
- The property at which the dogs are kept is to be maintained in a sanitary condition at all times.
- The dogs must not become a nuisance to other residents or the general public.
- Registration of the dogs must be maintained at all times.
- That the City of Unley be notified within 14 days if the permit holder or dog(s) move.
Where a permit holder or dog(s) move premises an application to vary the permit is required. Permit Variation Applications are subject to a fee as determined by Council's Fees & Charges Schedule(PDF, 1MB) .
We may at any time vary or revoke this permit in accordance with By-Law 1 - Permits and Penalties.
Application to keep more than the prescribed number of dogs(PDF, 125KB)
Permit Variation Application(PDF, 114KB)