While the resurfacing of Unley Oval will be managed by Council, expert contractors BTM will be carrying out the work, which involves excavation and installation of irrigation systems and replacement of turf. This will result in a top-quality surface for playing sport, running, recreation and dog walking, all the things our community enjoys about this iconic asset.
Will there be access to use the Oval during the turf resurfacing works?
No. The existing turf surface will be completely excavated for the duration of the works and for safety reasons, access to the Oval cannot be provided at all. However, the majority of the outer areas of the Oval where no works are proposed can be used for recreational purposes, including the children's playgrounds and public toilet facilities which will remain open. We would also like our community to be aware of Council's contractors and to ensure that their access to and from the site is not impeded or restricted.
What alternative locations are available when access to the Oval is not permitted?
For general recreation, Council's other parks, reserves and playgrounds can be found here.
What about dog exercise areas and off-leash parks?
Council's parks and reserves with exercise and off-leash provisions for dogs can be found here.
Will Council be providing the community with further updates about upgrade works at Unley Oval?
Yes. Council will provided updates regarding the works at Unley Oval through various means to ensure the community is kept informed. Updates will be provided via:
- Unley Oval scoreboard with regular messages uploaded
- Council social media channels (Facebook and Instagram) will provide latest information and news
- This dedicated web page, which will be updated regularly.
- An initial letterbox drop has been done, communicating with approximately 400 residents who live within the area bounded by Marion Road, Duthy Street, Fairford Street and Unley Road.
What other things will residents in the area need to be aware of?
For periods during turf removal and replacement, nearby residents and Oval users will notice an increase in truck movements to and from the site. All heavy vehicle movements during the works will be via a temporary access point at the Frederick Street frontage to the Oval. Routes for heavy vehicles will be via Duthy Street, Unley Road and Oxford Terrace. Times of heavy vehicle movements will be restricted from 7am to 4pm weekdays and occasional Saturdays when required.
How can I get more information regarding the proposed works?
If you have inquiries or concerns about the project itself such as:
- Why is Council doing this?
- Why are the works taking so long?
- Where can I get more information about the scope of the works?
- What other locations are there for me to exercise my dog?
Please contact Council and we will be happy to answer your questions. Call our Customer Experience Team on 8372 5111.
If you have inquiries or concerns about the works themselves such as:
- Noise, dust or work vehicles access and egress
- Site work hours
- Cleanliness and tidiness of the site
- Report after-hours incidents or issues.
Please contact BTM Site Manager, Simon Gunn, via email at Simon.firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0421 923 108.
During the warmer, dryer months, dust may become an issue. How will this be managed?
To mitigate dust during the works at Unley Oval, BTM will implement a 3-stage plan, namely:
- Stage 1: While existing irrigation is operational, watering will be adjusted at intervals to occur every 2-hours to suppress dust.
- Stage 2: Once the civil component begins, a water truck will be in operation continuously wetting the ground and following the grader and loader on site.
- Stage 3: After the subgrade cut is complete, BTM will apply 'superskin' which will remain on the Oval until the installation of the the new irrigation system is completed.