This project is a key outcome of the LATM study undertaken in the Clarence Park/Millswood area in 2018/19. The LATM study involved two stages of consultation with local residents, where feedback was sought on a range of options for the area and for Mills Street specifically. The community engagement process indicated that although there was not support for holistic changes to the Clarence Park area, there was support for changes on Mills Street. Residents of Mills Street generally sought further intervention to lower traffic speeds and discourage people from using the street as part of a peak period short cut.
The final recommendation, which was endorsed by Council in September 2019, was:
- Replace flat-top road humps with Watt’s profile road humps
- Install three additional road humps along the street
- Re-construct chicanes to reduce local speed and increase greening
- Consider opportunities for improvements at the East Avenue and Goodwood Road intersections
- Align works with any future stormwater upgrades and consider implementing changes as part of a streetscape upgrade