Unley Libraries digital literacy program offers a range of classes designed to spark your learning, improve your confidence and help you get the most our of the latest technology. Bring along your device and get ready to learn in a fun, relaxed and interactive way! More courses will continue to be rolled out during so keep a lookout in the libraries, and sign-up to our e-newsletter to get the latest updates.
Note: If you wish to use your own device, you will need to know all your personal usernames and accounts (eg your Apple ID and password for an iPhone or iPad, or your Google account and password for an Android smartphone or tablet).
If you wish to use a library computer, please note that we have a mix of Windows PCs and Apple Mac computers so you may not get your first preference, depending on demand in each class.
Reboot classes & events
Do you need help with your laptop, tablet or phone? We can help you with 45-minute one-on-one appointments where you can bring your device and ask questions to our dedicated Tech Help tutors. Our Tech Help appointments are offered at a beginner level, with Tech Help Start, and at a more complex level with Tech Help Plus. Please see below for more detailed examples and to find which one might be right for you.
Days and times will differ over weeks and months due to the availability of the tutors.
In this current climate we are having to take some extra precautions to make sure that we are keeping all our customers safe, as well as our staff and volunteers. Therefore, we are implementing some compulsory hygiene measures for all Tech Help appointments, including:
- Tech Help appointments will be held in our Tech Lab training room at Unley, instead of the usual space out in the library. This will enable us to spread out a little more.
- Tutors will be wiping down surfaces, computers, and washing their hands in between customers. All appointments will need to finish on time, to allow the tutors time to clean in between appointments.
- We ask that all customers sit alongside their tutor (not face-to-face) and give as much space that is reasonable and practical between you.
- All customers must either wash their hands with soap and water or use hand sanitiser prior to their session. These facilities will be available to you in the Tech Lab.
- If bringing your own device, all customers must wipe their device down with our cleaning wipes. These will be available to you, and are made especially for computer and tablet screens and keyboards.
- Customers will be asked to handle their own devices as much as possible. When tutors are needing to handle any devices, they will be using their own stylus.
- If you are unwell, please do not come in. Instead, please call the library on 8372 5100 and cancel your appointment. Library staff will do their best to reschedule your appointment where we can.
Tech help: Start
Do you have a beginner’s query about your smartphone, tablet or computer? Tech Help: Start is perfect if you are new to smartphones, tablets, or computers, and need some beginner help in learning how it all works, as well as questions about email, social media – like Facebook or Skype, or browsing the internet. We can also assist if you need help with taking and sending photos on your mobile, using USBs and external drives, or navigation and file management of your computer.
Tech help: Plus
Do you need help with understanding apps on your mobile, programs on your computer, or how to connect multiple devices? Tech Help: Plus is perfect if you have questions about cloud storage (eg iCloud, Dropbox, GoogleDrive), transferring photos and files from different devices, and installing and using apps.
We can also assist with questions about Microsoft Office products (eg Word, Excel, Powerpoint), eBooks and library databases, or queries around safety and security, virus protection and software updates for your mobile or computer.
Book your Tech Help Plus session here.
Please contact us on 8372 5100 if your plans change and you cannot attend a booked session. We often have high waiting lists for appointments, and Tech Help tutors come in especially for these times. We appreciate your understanding.
Thousands of video training courses for animation, music, business, design, IT, photography, using the web and more!
A national four year digital literacy program with the goal of supporting Australians to improve their digital skills. Together Infoxchange and Australia Post are working with communities around Australia, with a focus on the following audiences:
- Ageing community members
- Regional and remote communities.
- CALD (Culturally and Linguistically Diverse) communities
- Indigenous communities
- Small businesses
Be Connected is an Australia wide initiative empowering all Australians to thrive in a digital world. This free website offers online learning resources as well as a Network of community partners – including Unley Libraries - who offer in-person support so you can develop your digital skills and confidence.
eSmart resources - stay safe online
- eSmart Libraries is a cyber-safety framework designed to fully equip libraries, staff and library users with the skills they need for smart, safe and responsible use of digital technology. Unley Libraries is currently working towards eSmart accreditation
- ThinkUKnow is a free, evidence-based cyber safety program that provides accessible cyber safety education to parents, carers and teachers through schools and organisations across Australia.
- Australian Cybercrime Online Reporting Network (ACORN) is a national online system that will allow the public to securely report instances of cybercrime.
- Stay Smart Online Stay Smart Online provides simple, easy to understand advice on how to protect yourself online as well as up-to-date information on the latest online threats and how to respond.
- Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) provide information on a variety of topics such as how to stay safe online, protecting your online identity, reducing unwanted calls, and keeping your children safe online.
Thank you for your feedback, it helps us design a better website for you.
If you need a reply or can't find what you were looking for Contact Us or call (08) 8372 5111.